Welcome to 2020 at Queen Mary. We want to get you excited about studying and exploring London and culture online as part of your university experience.
Here’s some suggestions:
1. Epic Exhibitions
Go to a blockbuster or tiny exhibition in London:
- Go fake clubbing at Electronic: From Kraftwerk to The Chemical Brothers at Design Museum in Kensington (District Line to Earl’s Court). Get a Student Art Pass to save money.
- Get art and stunning views on the roof in Peckham at Bold Tendencies (Overground from Whitechapel)
- Hidden treasure awaits at Havering Hoard: A Bronze Age Mystery
2. Unusual London
Uncover unusual sights and experience:
- Discover hidden gems on your doorstep or all over London with Open House London.
- Join and visit libraries like Tower Hamlets Archives, British Library, Senate House Library and these other gems.
- Go to a museum or culture space like Charles Dickens Museum, Poetry Museum. Explore what’s on at Ian Visits.
3. See Performance
- Organisations like Bridge Theatre, National Theatre, Greenwich + Docklands International Festival are putting on performance all over London
- Use apps like Stagedoor, Eventbrite, Central Tickets to discover what’s on in London
- Watch latest star and cult performances at London Film Festival screenings and events
- Experience new interactive works like c-o-n-t-a-c-t
4. Give Something Back / Self Care
- Volunteer through QMSU or search charities and get involved, a local charity or food bank
- Get green with Green Mary
- Look after your physical and mental health and do exercise by running, walking or these other funusual ideas
5. Explore Industries and Careers in London
- Get help from QMUL Careers team to secure internships, work experience and learning opportunities while you are at university
- Sign up to the creative version of Linkedin, The Dots and follow cool companies that have free events you can attend
- Find somewhere unusual to work here – the article is by our English graduate Lara Mills