We understand that this year is very strange and confusing time for you – but we want to outline why applying to QMUL is a positive way to end 2021 with a plan.
Here are 21 reasons why you should apply to our English and Drama courses for 2022 entry before the UCAS deadline in January.
a) Why apply now?
1. You can relax and have stress-free holidays without worrying about your university choices. More Netflix time!
2. You’ll get invited to interview for all of our courses, to help you understand whether the course is right for you and to ask questions.
3. You’ll sometimes get a quicker offer: Your application will be processed ahead of people who apply later.
b) Why English at Queen Mary?
4. Our values of inclusion are at the heart of what we teach.
5. Professional Support & Work Experience: Employability is at the heart of our English courses and you will gain access to more areas of employment by choosing us.
6. Student Support: We’re here to support your learning the whole way through your degree, with a dedicated advisor, peer-assisted study support, writing workshops and professional practice classes.
c) Why Drama at Queen Mary?
7. Freedom to be you: Unlike Drama schools we support your to tell your own story.
8. Teaching that pushes the boundaries.
9. Space to create: We have 3 rehearsal rooms, 2 studio theatres, and a dedicated technical team to make your ideas a reality.
d) Why Queen Mary over other Russell Group universities?
10. Our history of fighting for social change and inclusion: Listen to this podcast – featuring our very own Nadia Valman – to get insight into this unique history.
11. Our support services & student union.
We are dedicated to supporting students with services like counselling, writing support, Mental Health First Aid and more.
12. Our diversity – and how you can make friends with people from around the world and from different socio-economic backgrounds.
e) Why choose to study in 2022?
13. Learn in lockdown and its aftermath.
Make the most of being out of lockdown and learn something interesting with us. You can always choose to add a year abroad in your third year when hopefully travel will be less restricted.
14. Time to reflect.
University gives you time to reflect on the wider world, develop your values and try to change the world.
15. The experience of blended learning is benefiting students.
We work with students to improve our online and in-person teaching as much as we can. Lots of students have told us that some experiences work better online. Activities like meeting an advisor or participating in a text-based English class work really well online, so we will act on this feedback for 2021.
f) Why choose to go to university rather than other options?
16. Transferable skills.
You’ll have time to perfect your transferable skills, including writing, teamwork and creating your own projects.
17. Time for self-development.
You will have time outside of paid-work and time for internships and other opportunities that may be difficult to fit in around full time work or apprenticeships.
18. Meet curious people and make friends for life.
Lots of our students make friends for life on our courses. We are a friendly department and encourage students to talk and socialise outside of the workshop room.